Last night I was at church and the guy that was leading mentioned this idea about when we are trying to seek God it is natural to strive to God. What this means is that we will do do do do. We try to read our Bibles x amount of minutes, we will try to pray for everyone we can think of, we will worship louder just to try and get an experience from God.
He went on to say that we should not strive for God. Instead we should receive from God. We can constantly be trying with everything that we have to become closer to God. But since we are fallen people we will never achieve what he wants us to have.
After the Q&A was over with this guy had us just sit in the presence of the Lord. I didnt really know what that meant. I dont think a lot of people do. As he was prepping us I was questioning what I was supposed to do once this started. He put some worship music on and told us to close our eyes. Him and his wife went around and just started praying for everyone that was there.
I had never experienced something in this way before. It was so good to not pray or sing or whatever. All I did was sit and let the Lord move. Nothing major was revealed except the idea that we do not need to strive or do a ton of things to make the Lord love us more. Instead all we have to do is sit and receive from Him.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Amazing how God shows up even without us "setting the mood" and manipulating the environment. I think there is much to be learned from the concept of God being in the ordinary just as much, and sometimes even more than when we try to sex things up for Him. It is cultural though. Maybe based on security?
ReplyDeleteCould it be, that in the same way that we build up our physical mansions and security so that we don't truly need to depend or trust God as our provider, we build up a sensory overload and emotionally charged worship environment to secure we have a "moving" experience?... Sometimes we add so much that we end up not allowing space for true and authentic movement of the Spirit.